Marc Sherratt has been exposed to and worked in a variety of informal settlement scenarios differing in complexity, size, ethnographic etc.
Specific projects undertaken include the following:
• Diepsloot – on site landscaping intervention proposal
• Alexandra / Marlboro – “informal studio” community scheme (published in Afritecture, 2014)
• Orange Farm – construction of formal housing
• Kliptown / Soweto – community centre renovation
• Johannesburg inner city – numerous projects including extensive ethnographic mapping and urban design framework
• Pretoria inner city – fuchs competition proposal for a heritage renovation
• Thabo Mbeki village – rural school proposal (des baker competition)
Community projects were approached through community leadership and driven by the specific needs of those communities. Extensive on-site mapping and community discussion, was under- taken before any response was presented. though challenging these projects were extremely influential in the development of the author’s premise towards architecture and spatial planning.